Matthew R. Burton
Mr. Burton, a shareholder with Leonard, O’Brien, Spencer, Gale & Sayre, Ltd., focuses his practice on bankruptcy matters and acts as “general counsel” for a number of clients.
He has represented debtors and creditors in matters arising under Chapters 7, 11 and 13 of the Bankruptcy Code. Mr. Burton has represented numerous creditor committees in Chapter 11 matters. The following is a list of representative matters:
- Representation of publicly-traded Chapter 11 debtor with a large, hostile unsecured creditor.
- Representation of loan servicers in real estate foreclosures, receivership proceedings and related remedies litigation.
- Representation of a creditors’ committee in a Chapter 11 nursing home matter, which was a consolidation of approximately ten Chapter 11 cases.
- Representation of local businesses as their general counsel.
- Represented a substantial number of adversary proceeding defendants defending claims of all sizes. Defended a New York Stock Exchange corporation in a large preference case.
- Represent a number of Chapter 7 trustees in pursuing their legal rights in Bankruptcy Court, including the bankruptcy case of Dennis E. Hecker which is, perhaps, the largest individual bankruptcy case in Minnesota history.
Mr. Burton received his undergraduate degree from the Pennsylvania State University and his juris doctor degree, cum laude, from William Mitchell College of Law. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Burton was an attorney with the Minnesota law firm of Petersen, Tews & Squires, P.A. He has been a speaker at continuing legal education seminars regarding bankruptcy law. Mr. Burton has on two occasions been recognized as a Rising Star among Minnesota lawyers by Law and Politics Magazine.
Mr. Burton is admitted to practice in all state and federal courts in Minnesota, and is admitted practice law in Iowa. He is also admitted to practice before the United States Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
William Mitchell College of Law
Pennsylvania State University
Matthew R. Burton
Telephone: (612) 332-1030
Fax: (612) 332 2740
Primary Areas of Practice:
Civil Litigation, Bankruptcy, Creditor’s Remedies and Business Transactions,Debtor and Creditor Remedies, Corporate Law, Bankruptcy Litigation, and Bankruptcy Reorganization.