James M. Jorissen
Mr. Jorissen, a shareholder with Leonard, O’Brien, Spencer, Gale & Sayre, Ltd., focuses his practice on business and commercial litigation and bankruptcy.
He has represented financial institutions, corporations, labor unions, indenture trustees, institutional debt and equity holders and corporate directors and officers in a variety of business, commercial, corporate and contractual disputes in more than 25 state, federal and bankruptcy courts throughout the United States. He also represents public bodies and construction contractors in the implementation, negotiation and enforcement of construction contracts in the private and public sectors. Mr. Jorissen also has extensive experience representing public entities. The following is a list of representative matters:
- Served four terms as Special Counsel to the Ohio Attorney General and the Ohio Superintendent of Insurance, as Liquidator of Credit General Insurance Company, representing the interests of the Credit General Liquidation Estates in litigation and bankruptcy proceedings.
- Representation of international pilots union in bankruptcy of major regional air carrier and related proceedings initiated by carrier to reject the pilots’ collective bargaining agreements.
- Represented participant European bank in litigation in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York involving fraud claims against agent bank related to $280 million asset-based credit facility provided to offshore oil refinery, and played instrumental role in securing favorable settlement for client on the eve of trial.
- Represented institutional equity holders in litigation leading to favorable, multimillion dollar settlement of breach of fiduciary duty claims against foreign directors of domestic publicly traded corporation in Delaware Chancery Court.
- Represented agent bank in receivership and foreclosure proceedings leading to successful recovery of $11 million on college housing complex and $3.8 million on hotel complex.
- Represented mechanical contractor in pursuit and successful settlement of $4.1 million cost overrun claim related to massive power plant project.
- Represented insurance company in defense of class actions related to so-called “vanishing premium” whole life insurance policies, in related “opt-out” litigation, and in successful coverage litigation to secure more than $7.5 million in costs of defense from insurer’s D&O carrier.
- Representation of insurance companies in lawsuit to rescind $10 million in life insurance due to insured’s alleged fraud in the inducement.
- Successfully represented regional bank in defense of lender liability claims related to alleged malfeasance in the administration of an SBA guaranteed loan.
- Represented major airline in successful defense of contractor’s $3 million cost overrun claims stemming from construction of aircraft maintenance facilities.
- Successfully represented public entity in defense of bid protest related to the award of a $110 million contract to construct an underground tunnel and related improvements for the Light Rail Transit system in Minneapolis.
- Acted as Minnesota counsel to international fast food hamburger chain in litigation and arbitration of leasehold and real estate related disputes.
- Represented public airport commission in negotiation of construction contract for light rail project.
- Represented county in negotiation of construction contract for municipal jail facility.
Mr. Jorissen received his undergraduate degree from the University of Maryland and his juris doctor degree, cum laude, from the University of Minnesota, where he was a member of Minnesota Law Review and a moot court director. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Jorissen was a partner with the Minneapolis law firm of Oppenheimer Wolff & Donnelly LLP. He is a frequent speaker at continuing legal education seminars, and has recently given presentations regarding equipment leasing, bankruptcy law and secured transactions under Revised Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code. Mr. Jorissen has on three occasions been recognized as a Rising Star among Minnesota lawyers by Law and Politics Magazine.
Mr. Jorissen is admitted to practice in all state and federal courts in Minnesota and Wisconsin and in the United States District Court for the District of Nebraska. He is also admitted to practice before the United States Seventh and Eighth Circuit Courts of Appeal. He has been admitted pro hac vice in state and federal courts throughout the United States.
James M. Jorissen
Telephone: (612) 332-1030
Fax: (612) 332 2740
Primary Areas of Practice:
Banking, Bankruptcy, Civil Litigation,Business Litigation, Debtor and Creditor Remedies, Commercial Debt Restructuring, Corporate Law, Bankruptcy Litigation, Bankruptcy Reorganization,Lender Liability, and Loan Transactions.